Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas

I am writing to wish everyone a very merry Christmas. Its been wonderful being home, and I have now had 9 days of very good rest and relaxation. I suppose it will be time to start working again soon, but not quite yet.

The holiday has been good for me. I've gotten two new dress shirts, the Cambridge Companion to Immanual Kant, and best of all, a new laptop. I am very happy my parents were able to get this. I certainly don't deserve such a present, but it will be useful for my work . My old computer is holding up ok, but it is limiting in many ways.

As always, though, the most important part of my Christmas is spending time with my family. The gifts used to be more important, when I was a boy, but that kind of materialism, the kind that gets more crass every year, doesn't do much for me. I might sound a bit hypocritical, after receiving a new computer, but what matters just isn't stuff. Gifts, even the best of them, are just things. They have no heart, no mind. You get no recognition from gifts. They are transitory too. But a person's family is a constant part of life. The emotional support and love of my family is what really matters to me.

So I hope everyone has a merry Christmas, spending times with those that love them. That's what I'll be doing the rest of today.

Once more into the breach,

Ben

No comments: