Wednesday, November 02, 2005

When an overhead light becomes a shower faucet

Nothing in life is perfect, and that certainly goes for flats and apartments. Every apartment has its quirks, and so does mine. Until last night I thought the most annoying thing about my flat was that the doors are kind of sticky and difficult to open and close. No big problem, life goes on.

But I was very wrong. Last night around 9:00 I heard a dripping sound. I went to investigate in the bathroom, but there wasn't really any leaking going on in there. But I still heard the dripping coming quite quickly, seemingly in the direction of my bedroom. So I went one door down and I was nearly scared to death.

There is an old saying that water and electricity don't mix. Well, apparently they sometimes do (perhaps with bad repercussions). To my shock I saw water dripping rapidly from the bottom of the lightbulb in my overhead lamp. Worse the lamp was still on. Well I swore, and quickly turned the light off. I think it was just in time because there seemed to be a sort of funky electrical smoking odor in the room. It dripped all night long, and it made life real unpleasant. Luckily I have a futon, so Ahreum, was able to get a comfortable place to sleep. I wasn't so lucky and had to hit the floor.

So today I've felt a bit like the living dead. Fortunately, we know the problem is occurring because of a leaky roof line and builders should be here to sort out the problem early next week.

Other than that, my Fenelon presentation went pretty well. I wasn't fully confident that I had prepared adequately because of my new shower head in the bathroom. Also, Fenelon is a bit antiquarian and obscure. I knew this would be the case, but luckily discussion broadened into the concepts at work in his Dissertation on Pure Love and their conection to Plato, Augustine, and Plotinus. I feel a little rescued by my supervisor because he guided the conversation away from a narrow focus on Fenelon alone, which would have definately impoverished our meeting.

Once more into the breach,

Ben

No comments: