Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Two Turkey days?

Last Thursday was Thanksgiving. I had two brilliant days celebrating. On day one I had friends from my department over. I cooked intermittently over the whole day, and then served the meal around 7:45, if my recollection is at all on target. We had chicken (major bummer, but turkey isn't available yet in England and chicken tastes exactly the same), candied yams, twice baked potatoes, and stuffing. Over the course of the meal wine was consumed in abundance. After a good deal of conversation (focusing on French social problems, Opus Dei, and the Scientologists) my guests left at about 3:00 in the morning. I had one of the most fun coach rides to London not three and a half hours later. I got to London, and then I went grocery shopping. Guess what? It was time to make another Thanksgiving meal. This time some of Ahreum's coursemates came. They were all very charming, and I'm glad she is able to have some good colleagues to go through this year with. The menu was the same, accept we did not have stuffing. After over 24 hours of giving thanks, I finally went to bed just after company left.

So, a lot of comments were given about the stuffing and the twice baked potatoes, the candied yams, and the meat. A lot of Americans will already know how to make all of this, but if anyone is interested in making some real traditional American food, I think its time for a few recipes. See the next post for a series on Thanksgiving dishes.

Once more into the breach,

Ben

No comments: