Friday, November 04, 2005

London

I've just finished the coach journey from Exeter to London. Its about 4 1/2 hours, which is quite long for an Englishman, but since I'm from the States and am used to long driving, it isn't so bad. But it still awfully hard to sit in a dry crowded coach the whole way. National Express has an excellent deal called "fun fair", and I don't think my trip cost more than a fiver. But "fun fair" or not, a coach ride is never fun.

I really feel blessed with my opportunities to travel to London this school year.
My girlfriend Ahreum is studying to become a barrister at the Inns of Court, school of law. She's living in Camden town, just minutes North of Central London, and I can visit whenever I am free. This means lots of opportunity to experience culture I couldn't get in Exeter, much less back home in Janesville Wisconsin. Living in the big city has a lot of charm, and though I wouldn't want to settle in a place like London, extended visits allow me to observe life here without becoming caught up in it.

The resources for the scholar in London are exceptional.
In my case the British Library tops my list. Now that I have a reading card there, I am going to be doing a good deal of archival research and reading of sources Exeter just doesn't have. Its a real boon for my PhD. Better yet, its only twenty minutes away from where Ahreum lives.

Luckily, the library isn't really open at night, or I might bury myself there.
Instead I've got freedom to explore London in the evenings. In deed, this evening I will be going to a concert with Ahreum put on by her law society. I hope they're in tune.

Once more into the breach,

Ben

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben - It is good that you now have your own blog. I am glad that you are capable of managing this sort of computer, IT stuff without any difficulty. (I am talking about my laptop that has got so many problems and that you were able to cure them.) It's dark outside. I am very happy that I have you in my place in this dark and gloomy city - London. Well, I wouldn't think that I will be able to stay in this part of the world for more than two years any way. Looking forward to moving back to Korea or some other less crowded and sunny places like Janesville WI or Jeju island! Haha.. LOVE YOU..Ahreum