Friday, January 20, 2006

Back in the saddle


I am finally feeling right as rain after a long battle with congestion. The cold never really developed into a hacking cough, but the congestion has given me headaches. Anyway, its nice to be healthy.

Last night this lovely lady made kimchichigae for me, it's a traditional Korean kimchi soup. The taste is spicy and sour at the same time. There is ham and dried fish inside the soup, and a good deal of hot pepper powder. We ate it with a few big spoonfuls of rice. This is a warming and delicious meal. As they say in Korean, Jonun kimchichigaerul johamnida, or I love kimchi soup.

Of course, I am also back into the full swing of working. I have to submit 20,000 words for my PhD thesis by the end of March. This is a tall order. I've probably got 15,000 decent words on paper, but a good deal more research and polish is needed to get this work into shape. My current chapter is on the Legislator in Rousseau's political thought. I am trying to deliver a more fulsome explanation of his psychology and his role in Rousseau's thought. Taking Rousseau as a political thinker of the self, I think that only by examining and cognating the Legislator as a self, can his relationship with a political community, his aims, and his modus operandi be adequately understood.

So that's my work for the moment. But as for now, I am cooking. Making chocolate cake and then stir fry. Ahreum's visiting me in Exeter right now, and we are having company over for dinner.

Once more into the breach,

Ben

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ben, this is mijung.
this pic is soooooo great. i love that. did she really good cook? ^^;

elrohil said...

Hi Mijung, thanks for you kind words. Yes, she really did a good job cooking. As far as thekimchichigae goes, it was just as good as her mother's. I was very happy.