Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Is there a beginning?

In the case of blogs the answer is a definitive yes, and in this case quite a late beginning. The blogging phenomenon has really taken off, and I am quite happy to be an also ran. The point is I get a chance to post my musings and let my friends and family know how my life is unfolding. Even if I'm a little late, I'm still convinced this is useful.

The difference between a blog and a normal journal for myself or an emailed update for my friends and family is obvious. If I'm going to submit my thoughts to a public forum (well if any one drops by), I ought to have something worth saying. If this is a place for me to display mental drivel, then there's no point in writing a blog.

So what is the
rai·son d'être of the Song of the Spheres? Well, primarily elucidation. I hope that by formulating my thoughts on a regular basis and sharing them with those that know me or visit the blog, I will learn more about my own life. From my Platonic philosophical sympathies to my delight in cooking and photography, to my PhD studies, I always am keen to learn more. If Plato is right in his Symposium, we go through a variety of loves and interests in our lives leading from the basic to the sublime, but love of any kind whether romantic or philosophic is active. Mere passive cognition and contemplation were never wisdom for Plato nor are they for me.

So I intend to ruminate over whatever interests me and the experiences I have in life, hoping, behind it all, to learn something. Of course my intentions are not purely solipsistic, and what I'm posting will at least appertain to interest and utility. Hopefully, some friends and family and who knows who else will drop by from time to time and join the chorus of the spheres for a moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the ONLY blog that devotes time to oatmeal that I have ever seen. You just don't find a keen appreciation of a healthy breakfast these days. In a world of Fruit-loops and Count Chocula, I say to Elrohil, "Keep on rockin'!"