Friday, October 28, 2005

Dance with a shadow virus

Well today I had the unfortunate experience of having a seriously wacked out computer. It looked like one heck of a viral infection. Internet explorer, windows explorer, add/remove progam, and even my virus scan were on the fritz. The scanner wouldn't let me update, create a recover disc, or scan the computer. None of that sounds very good, does it?

I restarted, and guess what. All of the same problems were still there. So I was in despair, was preparing to back up what I could, and drop the hammer and fdisc my system into oblivion. Of course I have all my system cds, so its not the end of the world, but my reinstallation cd for windows is a bit crippled and it can't properly reformat the operating system after the hard drive is de-partitioned and repartitioned. It will work, but it needs a little help along the way. Problem is, I can't quite remember what the assistance is (I think booting from cd first did the trick but I am not that certain). So I powered down and powered up again to make my backups. I figured I'd with it one more time, just in case....










Dramatic pause






Anyway, much to my surprise, everything started working properly. So I updated my virus software and tested - nothing. Updated the anti-adware software and also nothing. Nothing seemed to be wrong. It was like a phantom. Of course there is no such thing as phantom's when it comes to computers. So I am very dubious about the seeming recovery. I suspect I will encounter a relapse, but I hope against it.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to a lovely and extended weekend with my girlfriend. She is coming her tonight and will be staying until Wednesday morning. Once she's here I get less lazy and do a little more cooking, so I'll bloc up some commentary on the recipes.

Once more into the breach,

Ben

No comments: