Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Job Update

Long have I yearned for gainful employment. Quite seriously, the anxiety of job searching had gripped me. My hope was not exhausted, but there was a dearth of expectation.

Fortuna, however, smiles in her own time. In early June I was contacted by St. Edmund (or Teddy) Hall, University of Oxford, and was asked if I could be interviewed on Friday, June 13. I managed to say, 'that would be superb' or something to that effect, though I'm not sure how, as my throat had clenched into a swallow of elation fused with terror.

My colleagues at Exeter arranged to give me a practice interview on Thursday, which went more or less well. Though I felt I handled several questions disastrously and certainly needed more preparation. But the payoff was great, as they anticipated the questions asked in the real interview with remarkable precognition.

Friday came and I decided that Friday the 13 would be a day of bad luck - for the competition. Indeed, I arrived at Oxford by trains 5 minutes a head of schedule (likely the first early train in England for decades) and roughly 2 hours prior to the interview itself. I bided my time by locating Teddy Hall, wandering briefly around town, and taking time to practice my presentation over espresso at Starbucks. I went to the Blackwell's bookshop by the Bodleian, went to the politics shelves, and prayed.

The interview went as well as I could hope, and I had rectified the dilapidated performance of the day before. I even managed to borrow a joke from my supervisor. Even ignorant of the final result, it was a relief that I had shown them quite properly what I'm made of. I left having been told that I would probably be informed of the results about halfway through the next week.

My first move after saying fair well to my interviewers was back to Blackwell's. I decided I the first thing I would do would be to buy a new book on Locke for my collection. I have no illusions about being anything other than a eccentric academic. Much to my astonishment, when I left the bookstore I found that a message had been deposited on my phone. I called voicemail to discover that the interviewers had several questions which they forgot to ask. Being close, I marched strait down the Queen's lane and toward Teddy hall, my mobile phone in hand a prepared to dial back.

So not twenty-five minutes after the interview, I was on the phone with Dr. Karma Nabulsi (the lead Politics lecturer at Teddy Hall). The first thing she told me,

'We want to give you the job'.

I immediately said yes.

2 comments:

danielle said...

OH MY GOD! You're going to WORK AT OXFORD??!!!! How amazingly cool is that? Oh, Ben, I'm so happy for you. That is so freaking awesome. Now I know someone who is on the staff! Woot. Touch me! I'm special now! Thanks for that. Ha. You must be so excited. When do you start? Oh details, details must be forthcoming!

I'm recovering quite nicely. Yesterday was the first day I felt like I was getting back to normal. Had another trip to the ER earlier on Tuesday and appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday. So pills plus Thursday made Friday pretty awesome.
I'm glad you enjoy reading about my hospital stay. I'll do anything for a laugh, eh?
db

elrohil said...

Well my year long job probably doesn't give me much influence, but I might be able to get you into the senior common room for some free lunch, if you're back in the UK ;). I've been elated, but the reality of PhD finishing has clamped down again. Anyway, I'll be starting tutorials/lectures in October, but the contract begins in September. I'm going up next week for flat hunting. Hopefully accommodation just costs money, and not arms, legs, or souls.