Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Life's ups and downs

The past week has been an interesting one. I've suffered a rather tremendous loss, as my computer suffered a complete and totally unexpected system failure. To make matters even better my recovery cd was corrupted. Luckily I backed up key documents some time ago, and had some other documents on my email account. Otherwise, this would be a major major disaster. But I have lost most of the photographs I took in June which I didn't post onto this website. There are some important pictures from a close friends PhD graduation that are now gone forever. The moral of the story is constant back ups. One copy on hard drive and one on CD at all times. Best to have some things on internet storage as well. If you fall behind, it's a matter of when, not if, you will lose your data.

My life has been further complicated by nagging sciatica pain in my right leg. I'm a little young to be feeling this. I think the cause was a coach trip to London last week. Unfortunately I've got another trip to London on Thursday. My intention is to study at the British library and then meet Ahreum that evening. But with my leg the way it is, I'm not sure how feasible that will be. I'm just hoping for a recovery.

Ahreum has taken up swimming again these days. She swims for an hour or two when she goes, and is really improving quickly. She was a little rusty, but is now doing fine. We are both working really hard to improve our health, and the results seem to be paying off. I'm trying to get down to size 34 waste by the time we go to Korea in one month. At the beginning of the summer I was just barely wearing size 36 trousers, but those have gotten significantly more comfortable over the last month. Another reason for the sciatica pain to go away - renewed exercise.

Once more into the breach,

Ben

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

By the way, Ben, thanks for the computer. It's working well now, after, as you know, Mom spent countless hours on the phone with the Man. There was one little problem last night when I got it, namely that the wireless card wasn't working. Of all people, Liv, my new girlfriend, went into the CMOS and fixed the glitch this morning. One more reason to like her I guess. Take care ugly.