Sunday, June 25, 2006

Korean World Cup Match

On Friday I finally finished off all of my marking. I did about thirty exams between 6:00 and 11:00 am. I felt like I hungover by the time I was done with it. Its rather amazing what the human mind and body are capable of when immense pressure is plied upon them. The most important thing was the feeling of total relief and calm that came over me when I turned in the exam stack to the office.

I must say that on the whole, I did not find the exam performances to be too stellar. There was some solid work, but, as with the essays, it seemed like they were only aiming for a pass rather than seeing what they were capable of.

But, this year, I have taken up the practice of writing down funny lines from the exams. It helps me stay focused and allows me to get a little enjoyment out of the grinding tedium. Here are the best gut busters:

"Firstly, as already mentioned natural law is consumed by all rational humans."
-I hope it has enough salt.

"As the name suggests eternal law goes on forever and extends well beyond our planet."
-That's totally cosmic, dude!

"The Utopians have a store of gold ... which they obtain by selling their excess gold."
-Something just doesn't add up here.


In the evening, I went with Ahreum and watched Korea take on Switzerland in the World Cup. Unfortunately for the Hanguk cheering section, Switzerland was playing on form and Korea wasn't. Still the Swiss obviously benefited from some highly dubious calls. Perhaps this might be called historical irony.

Irregardless of the defeat, I had a great time cheering for the Korean side. I also got some shots of some Korean friends and other Korean supporters.


Will and Sunyoung


Heejoo and Eunhan

Heejoo

Praying for Victory

Go Red Devils

Booster Club

Ahreum's come down with patriotic fever

Defeat sinking in

Sunyoung and Will

Sooyeon

Defeat hasn't dulled their spirits


When the game was over, and the post game drowning of sorrow had wrapped up, Ahreum and I joined our friend Sunyoung with her boyfriend Will and with Sooyeon and her partner Toby. We had just met the latter two, but they invited us over to their flat. We enjoyed some wine, some Hoegarten beer, and some funny videos on YouTube. Ahreum and I had a really good time meeting them and are looking forward to inviting them over to dinner sometime this summer.

What a great day!

Once more into the breach,

Ben

No comments: